Below are the list of top 43 most common and basic SEO Interview Questions and Answers given. It will be very useful for freshers and intermediate to crack the SEO interviews.
1. What is an SEO?
SEO stands for Search Engine Optimization, it is the process of changing the position or ranking of a page or whole website on a search engine search results like Google, Yahoo, Bing etc.
In other words, “the practice of optimizing a website to increase the traffic receives from search engine”.
2. What is the History of Search Engine?
The world’s first search engine, known as Archie, was created in 1990 to help people find information online. Google followed in 1996 and has since grown to become by far the biggest player in online search: roughly 70 percent of searches are now conducted using Google.
3. How many techniques used to do SEO?
Three techniques are there being used by SEO experts for optimizing the sites.
- White Hat SEO (Ethical Techniques)
- Black Hat SEO (Unethical Techniques)
- Gray Hat SEO (Mix up of White Hat & Black Hat SEO Techniques)
4. What is white Hat SEO Techniques?
This is the genuine and ethical way to achieve top ranking organically on Search Results pages.
5. What are some techniques being followed for White hat SEO?
- Website Code Optimization
- Meta Tag Description
- Link Building
- Article Submission etc.
- Forum Postings
Read the list of full optimization techniques here.
6. What are Black Hat SEO Techniques?
Black Hat optimization is an unethical way to achieve ranking on Search Engine.
7. What are some techniques being followed for Black Hat SEO?
- Doorway Pages
- Link Farming
- Keyword Stuffing
- Backlink creation on irrelevant sites
8. What are the Types of SEO?
Well! It has two types-
The first one is On-Page Optimization (Meta Tags, Internal Links & Web Analysis).
And the second one is Off-Page Optimization (Mostly Link Building)
9. What is On-Page Optimization?
To control whole website by you or using page coding is called On-Page Optimization, in which you have to dedicate on your boundary of website to bring it on # ranking over the digital world.
10. List of On-Page Optimization Activities?
- Code Optimization (HTML PHP, CSS, Java, etc.)
- Meta Tags insertion & optimization
- Update Blogs with Quality Contents
- Image Alt Tag Optimization
Get the list of Top 82 Activities to do in On-Page SEO: –
Top 25 Step by Step Guide for doing On-Page SEO Like a Pro – P1
Top 22 Step by Step Process for On-Page Optimization Like a Pro-P2
Top 25 Easy Steps to Optimize Your Content for On-Page SEO Like a Pro – P3
Top 10 Baby Steps to Optimize Your On Page SEO Like a Pro – P4
11. What is Off-Page Optimization?
Off-Page Optimizing is also known as Content Sourcing. It is opposite of the On-Page Optimization, and not controlled by the page coding only.
This is the process of optimization where you have to promote your page/ website by going to the third-party websites which are relevant to your business niche.
12. List of some Off-Page Optimization Activities?
- Link Building
- Blog Posting
- Video Sharing
- Image Sharing
- Article Submission
- Get high quality links from relevant sites
- Increase DA, Page Rank and Page Authority
Also read, Top 35 Step by Step Process to do Off Page Optimization
13. What is Back link in SEO?
It’s just liked a voting for your webpages. All the incoming links to your website or webpages through a good DA sites is called backlink. It is also known as incoming links, inbound links, inlinks, inward links etc.
14. What are Outbound Links?
Its opposite of inbound links. When we link other website’s URL which have good Domain Authority, to our content then it’s called outbound links.
15. What are Meta Tags?
A short information related to search query we put for every page is called Meta Tags.
- Think of tags as the words you are trying to rank for.
- Make sure the “Tags” are similar to your keywords that you are trying to rank for
16. What are some important Meta Tags for SEO?
- Meta Title
- Meta Description
- Meta Keywords
- Robot Tags
17. Where to place Meta Tags?
At the heading section of each pages.
18. What is Meta Title?
The title or heading you write to reflect on Google SERP as a result.
19. What is Meta Description?
A short and meaningful description for a website written in between 150 to 160 characters is called Meta Descriptions. It is fetched by Google bots to provide the relevant result to the user’s query.
Its literally just what it sounds like.
- It’s how you describe your content to the world in a line or two.
- Its also what’s seen first as a part of the search engine result just after searching your query.
Sometimes if description part is empty then Google would take this info from the content available in that particular page.
20. What is Character Limit of Meta Tags?
- Title: 70 Chars or 580 Pixels
- Description: 160 Chars or 920 Pixels
- Keywords: 200 Chars limit (Outdated now)
21. What SEO Factors matter for high ranking of a website?
- Domain SSL certificate
- Page load speed
- Domain Authority
- High Quality Content
- User Experience (Easy to use)
See the full list of SEO ranking factors.
22. What are the ways to get backlinks for SEO?
There are hundreds of ways to get the backlinks, but the few genuine and working ways are: –
- Blog Commenting
- Web 2.0 Websites
- Article Submissions
- Social Bookmarking
- Forum Posting
- Press Releases
- YouTube Marketing
23. Where can I see all the backlinks to a website?
Login into your google search console account. Scroll down and navigate to the “Links” option given in left side drop-down menu under “Legacy tools and reports”. Click it & you will get here all the backlink details about your website.
We can also use tools such as- “Backlink Checker” or “Moz Link Analysis”.
24. What is Keyword?
A word or phrase typed by a user in Search Engine to get some information, is known as “KEYWORD”.
Get in-depth knowledge about Keywords in this article
25. What platform should be used to perform keyword research?
First make a list of some random keywords related to your website and then go to “Google AdWords Keyword Planner tool”. The Google Keyword Planner will show you the most searched keywords with the volume and expected CPC.
26. What is the Process of Keyword Research?
1. Business Analysis and Products Categorization
2. Brainstorming to get keywords
3. Analyze the competition
4. Pick the best suitable keywords
5. Repeat the process regularly (Monthly)
27. Relevant Terms of Keyword in SEO?
- Keyword Density
- Keyword Prominence
- Keyword Proximity
28. What is Keyword Density?
Percentage of keywords used based on words included in an article is called Keyword Density. 1% – 3% of the keyword density is recommended to use inside your article.
e.g.: – if you have written a 1000 words article, you can use 10 to 30 times every keyword inside your content.
29. What is Keyword Prominence?
Keyword Prominence means – the places where we are using the keywords.
There are basically 6 places on a page where we can use it: –
- Keyword in Page Title
- Keyword in URL (Permalink)
- Keyword in Body of Article
- Keyword in H1, H2 or H3
- Keyword in Meta Tags
- Keyword in Images Alt Text
30. What is Keyword Proximity?
Keyword Proximity is the distance between the “words” which is included in search query.
e.g:- I am searching for “Content Writing Services”
I am getting result as –
A) Freelance Content Writing Services for Bloggers – ……… (If proximity is 100%, that’s too good)
B) Content Writing Agency for Affordable Services – …. (if proximity is <100% , it’s not too good)
31. What is Keyword Stuffing?
It occurs when no. of keywords used multiple times in an article or in Meta tags. The ratio says 1 to 3 percent of keywords should be used in a content. To avoid the repetition of keywords, it’s better to use the content written by a professional content writer and also keep in mind that no hidden text (text in same color as background) should be there.
32. What are the types of Keyword?
- Transactional Query
- Informational Query
- Navigational Query
There are three types of search queries people generally make:
- “Do”/ Transactional Queries: – I want to do something, such as book a movie ticket or listen to a Bollywood song.
- “Know”/ Informational Queries: – I need information, such as the rate comparison of a smartphone or the best Shopping Mall in Canada City.
- “Go”/ Navigation Queries: – We want to go to a particular place on the Internet, such as Facebook or the homepage of the NFL.
33. What is the Length of Keywords?
- Short Tail: 1-2 words (High Competition)
- Medium Tail: 3-5 words (Medium Competition)
- Long Tail: More than 5 words (Low Competition)
34. What are some parts of On Page Optimization Technique?
- Always start with keyword selection, research and testing
- Meta Description Tag
- ALT Tags
- H1 Tags
- URL structure
- Internal Linking Strategy
- Quality Contents
- Keyword Density
- Site Maps, Both XML and User facing
- Usability and Accessibility
35. Make a List of On Page SEO Research Topics?
- What’s trending on internet
- Use keyword planner
- Use Google Trends and look for 12 months data
- Use some tools like Href, backlink watch, Semrush etc to see the competitors strategy
- Go for BROAD match by selecting your niche
- Shortlist some exact match keywords from that list only if it’s relevant
- Watch for Mobile vs. Desktop Traffic
- If Keyword Research haven’t done, do it again.
36. What two types of results does Google provides?
- Paid Results, also known as Google Ads
- Organic Results, also known as SEO
37. What is ORM?
The abbreviation of ORM is Online Reputation Management.
- It is another field of SEO industry & it deals with client’s Online Reputation Management.
- ORM Companies basically focus on keywords such as Brand Name, Brand Name Review, Brand Name is bad, etc.
- The ORM companies work to push the positive review and presence of a company on internet world.
ORM Work is Divided into 3 Parts: –
- Monitoring company’s online brand and following brand mentions around the web.
- Building Assets on that brand name.
- Fixing and minimizing damage to the brand.
38. What are the 9 Major Google Algorithm Updates?
|1||Panda||February 24, 2011||Duplicate, Plagiarized & short contents.|
|2||Penguin||April 24, 2012||Spammy or backlinks from irrelevant sites, over-optimized anchor text.|
|3||Pirate||August, 2012||Decrease website rankings having copyright infringement reports.|
|4||Hummingbird||August 22, 2013||Exact match Keyword targeting, Keyword stuffing, low-quality content.|
|5||Pigeon||July 24, 2014||Poor on Page & off-page Optimizations.|
|6||Mobilegeddon||April 21, 2015||Lack of mobile responsive site layouts.|
|7||RankBrain||October 26, 2015||Lack of query-specific relevance features, Poor user experience.|
|8||Possum||September 1, 2016||Show the results of your nearby places.|
|9||Fred||March 8, 2017||Thin, affiliate-heavy content, Low-value, ad-cantered content.|
39. What are the factors that can give you an SEO Advantage?
- Size of content
- Quality of Content
- Meta Tags
- Internal links to the content
- Use of relevant keywords, long tail & short tail
- Social following
- Social signals like sharing, likes, bookmarks & more.
40. What does a Quality Content Means?
- It should not be a copied content
- The articles should be 100% plagiarism free
- There shouldn’t be the grammar mistakes in writing
- Content should solves the problems. It shouldn’t be a long story
- Create information that shows people how to make things easy
41. What is “Social Following”?
The numbers of people who are connected to you via social media sites are your followers.
Possibilities are: –
- Facebook – Friends or Likes (If you have an updated business page)
- Twitter – Followers
- Instagram – Followers
- Pinterest – Followers
42. What is Social Signals?
Well! When your followers shares, likes or bookmark your content, each one of these will be counted as a social signal.
43. What are some Useful websites & Tools available for SEO?
- Google Keyword Planner
- Google Analytics
- Google Webmaster Tools
- Google Trends
- Schema Creator –
- Sitemap Creator
- DA Checker
- Alexa Page Rank Checker
- Free Competitor’s Backlink Checker
If you want more SEO Interview Questions & Answers, stay tuned to this blog for latest update about SEO QA.
Hope you just learned few new things from this blog. Your response will inspire me to share more knowledge with you using my experience and skill. So please like, share & leave your comment below. You can also Contact Us for any query or services such as Google Ads or Content Writing.
As you are a valuable reader for us, we are giving you a perk right away. Claim for your free Campaigns Audit Now.
- Job in Ranchi – English Content Writing Job – Bariyatu (Full Time)
- Why Do Blog Owners Prefer Hiring Professional Content Writing Services London Rather Doing It Self?
- 9 Tasks AI Chat GPT Will Make Easier For You
- Will ChatGPT Wipe Out The Existence Of Human Writers?
- Will Chat GPT Replace The Necessary Human Resources? Here Is A Detailed Analysis.
30 thoughts on “Top 43 Most Common SEO Interview Questions & Answers”
After going over a number of the articles on your website, I seriously appreciate your technique of blogging.
I saved it to my bookmark site list and will be checking back in the near future. Please check out my web site too and let me know how you feel.
I have recently started a web site, the info you offer on this website has helped me greatly. Thank you for all of your time & work. Lynna Rafferty Arber
Very nice post. I just stumbled upon your weblog and wanted to say that I’ve really enjoyed browsing your blog posts. After all I’ll be subscribing to your feed and I hope you write again very soon!
Having read this I thought iit was rather informative. I appreciate you taking the time and effort to put this article together. I once again find myself personally spending a significant amount of time both reading
and posting comments. But soo what, it was still worth it!
Thanks for sharing such great information, I highly appreciate your hard-working skills as the post you published have some great information which is quite beneficial for me, I hope you will post more like that in the future
Thanks designed for sharing such a nice thought, article is good, thats why i have read it completely
I was curious if you ever thought of changing the layout of your site?
Its very well written; I love what you’ve got to say.
But maybe you could a little more in the way of content so people could connect with
it better. You’ve got an awful lot of text for only having one or 2 pictures.
Maybe you could space it out better?
At this time it seems like BlogEngine is the top blogging platform available right now.
(from what I’ve read) Is that what you are using on your blog?
Howdy! I’m at work surfing around your blog from my new iphone 3gs!
Just wanted to say I love reading through your blog and look forward to all your posts!
Carry on the great work!
I am curious to find out what blog platform you have been working with?
I’m having some minor security issues with my latest website and I’d like to find something more safeguarded.
Do you have any recommendations?
Hmm it seems like your blog ate my first comment (it was super long) so I guess I’ll just sum it
up what I submitted and say, I’m thoroughly enjoying your blog. I too am an aspiring blog writer but I’m
still new to everything. Do you have any tips and hints for beginner blog writers? I’d genuinely appreciate it.
Its like you read my thoughts! You appear to know so much about this, such as you wrote the book in it or something. I think that you simply could do with some p.c. to power the message home a little bit, but instead of that, this is fantastic blog. A fantastic read. I’ll certainly be back.
This piece of writing provides clear idea in support of the new users of blogging, that actually how to do running a blog.
I am really grateful to the holder of this web site who has shared this wonderful post at here.
I pay a quick visit every day a few web pages and websites to read articles or reviews, however this web site provides feature based posts.
I know this site offers quality depending content and other information, is there any other web page which presents these kinds of stuff in quality?
Hello my friend! I want to say that this article is awesome, great written and come with almost all significant infos.
I would like to peer more posts like this .
Hello, i think that i saw you visited my blog so i came to “return the favor”. I’m trying to find things to improve my website!I suppose its ok to use a few of your ideas!!
It’s amazing in support of me to have a site, which is useful for my know-how.
Great article! That is the type of information that should be shared around the net. Shame on Google for not positioning this post higher! Come on over and talk over with my web site .
Hi mates, its impressive post concerning tutoring and fully defined, keep it up all the time.
Howdy this is kind of of off topic but I was wanting to know if blogs use WYSIWYG editors or if you have to manually code with HTML. I’m starting a blog soon but have no coding expertise so I wanted to get advice from
someone with experience. Any help would be greatly appreciated!
Create your site on WordPress, Wibly or other DIY site creation platform. It would be easier for you to design without doing coding.
I think everything typed made a great deal of sense.
But, think on this, suppose you composed a catchier title? I ain’t suggesting your content isn’t solid, but what if you added a post title that grabbed people’s attention? I mean Top 43 Most Common SEO Interview Questions & Answers –
2019 is kinda vanilla. You should peek at Yahoo’s home page and see how they write news headlines to get people interested.
You might try adding a video or a related pic or two to get readers interested about everything’ve written. In my
opinion, it could make your posts a little livelier.
Many thanks for your feedback.
I will follow the things from the next titles.
Good post however, I was wanting to know if you could write a little more on this topic?
I’d be very grateful if you could elaborate a little bit more.
I am very happy to know that you are liking the articles.
I will regularly update the Mithvin’s Blog with more useful information about SEO, Google Ads & Content Writings.
Your article is so informative for those who go for an interview in some SEO Services In Dubai. Your content contains some basic and deep information about SEO. You are such a meritorious content writer. I highly appreciate your hard work.
Many thanks for taking the time for writing your feedback.
I am glad to hear that it’s helping you to learn something new.
I have been browsing online more than 4 hours today, yet I never found any interesting article like yours. It is pretty worth enough for me.
In my opinion, if all website owners and bloggers made good content as you did, the internet will be much more useful than ever before.